According to Ayurveda's categorical study, dandruff is caused by an imbalance in all three doshas. While vitiated Pitta-Vata doshas cause dry dandruff, the imbalance in Vata-Kapha doshas leads to excess sebum production, causing wet dandruff.
These dosha imbalances lead to toxin accumulation in the deep tissues of the scalp. As a natural response, your body tries to eliminate contaminated epidermal cells, resulting in dandruff and an itchy scalp. The major culprit of dandruff is a fungus called Malassezia. This fungus exists on most adults’ scalps. It feeds on the oils on your scalp, breaking it down and leaving oleic acid in its place. Many people are sensitive to oleic acid. The body then reacts to this acid by increasing the speed at which skin cells renew. It is an attempt to rid the scalp of the irritant and can cause flakes. The flakes are dead skin cells that visibly accumulate on the scalp or even shoulders.
How to find relief, manage or prevent dandruff from the Ayurvedic Perspective.
- Take a look at your diet, lifestyle and environment to determine if triggers could be related to anything you may be eating, in daily habits or weather changes. The Ayurvedic line of treatment is to generally pacify Pitta and Vata through herbal medicines, as well as a tailor-made diet and lifestyle plan.
- Diet- Have food with good nutritive value; include fiber-rich foods, salads, fruits, and lentils. Avoid excess sugar, salt, dairy products, meat, acidic food.Avoid spicy, fatty, hot and penetrating foods, junk food, and aerated drinks.
- Stress can cause dandruff to worsen. Do regular yoga and exercises to minimize stress levels. Practices like breath work and meditation can help. Find what works for you.
- Do not go to bed with your hair wet.
- Do not leave scalp oil treatments on longer than the brands recommended time frame.
- Check to see if any of your current products are contributing to your symptoms.
- Some people believe that dandruff becomes worse the more often you shampoo, but that is not the case. In fact, not shampooing enough can make your dandruff worse. It causes more oil and dead skin to sit on top of your scalp, worsening dandruff.
- Most shampoos with anti-fungal ingredients will help balance the scalp but in more severe cases it if recommended to seek professional help from an Ayurvedic Practitioner or Dermatologist.
- The root cause of Dandruff will differ from person to person so you have to find what works for you.
Shop Pitta and Vata for dry dandruff or Kapha for wet dandruff at www.plantasmedicinas.com